Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Interlude: Happy New Year, Advice For a Happier New Year, and Happy New Blog Name

I've always looked back at each year upon its passing and reflected upon the many things that have transpired in that timeframe.  In recent years, specifically since I arrived here at Camp Zama in 2015, the years have been truly great, the best of my life, and unbelievably, getting better with each higher numbered year.  2018 continued that trend in spectacular fashion.  If it isn't apparent by the photos, videos, and descriptions I've shared of some of those experiences so far on this web space, then I'll just tell you that I'm (insanely/unfairly?) lucky to be in a blessed location with wonderful family and friends here who not only understand my unorthodox/weird/geeky ways, but unconditionally support them as well.

Some of my 2018 moments by month:


I'd been criticized by some around me in the past for not sharing what I know/learned from my experiences, and probably rightfully so.  I'm not very social to begin with because my values/interests tend to stand apart from most.  There are a few I can talk to and feel comfortable spending time with, though, but in person I tend to be very reserved.  For some reason though, I get along very nicely with the people of Japan... perhaps it's that mysterious reason that gets me in to some of the experiences/friendships here that elude many others.  A big part of my inspiration for this blog was to try to share what knowledge I have and hope that it makes someone else's stay here more memorable, whether for a tourist or a fellow Camp Zama resident.



However, it isn't just my personality and quirks that get me to the fun; there are definitely some tangible ways to get you to those experiences.  Perhaps one or more of these can get you to an experience/event more in line with your interests (instead of mine) or better yet, outdo mines completely:

How to find cool Tokyo area events/experiences for yourself

1. Make friends: Whether online or offline, they give the best advice for you (because they know you, and they have personal experience to relay to you) and make the best guide/companion should you need it.  I definitely lean heavily on my social network (mostly offline) and wouldn't have had half as much fun had I not done so.

2. The internet is your friend as well: Much more than before, information on almost everything you think you'd want to visit/experience is available online.  If no one in your network has done it before, it's worth bringing up like "I saw this place on the internet... looks really interesting, want to give it a try sometime?"  This is where having friends comes in handy again especially in Japan with Japanese friends; if you have some common interests, he/she is more likely to go with you and help ease the language barrier.

3. Phone? Smart!  Everyone has a smartphone nowadays, nevertheless it is worth mentioning that aside from translation apps that can get the message across the language barrier when needed, they are invaluable in way finding and getting information when you're out and about.

4. History tends to repeat itself:  Attended a very cool event somewhere?  There's a very big chance  that same place has some other events worth looking into... so check out their event schedule and you might find another one even better than the one you just attended.  Some good ones in the Tokyo/Kanagawa area are Tokyo Big Sight, Makuhari Messe, and Pacifico Yokohama.

5.  Fear is the path to... boredom:  Self explanatory.  Personal note; I actually feared/stressed a bit when going to some places/events (such as the Japan Adult Expo and Burlesque Tokyo, among others) but that's where having a friend or two to go with helped me overcome and enjoy.  If no one else wants to go... decide if you really want to take the dive by yourself, but remember that YOLO.

6.  The most overlooked, best quality of Japan: The people here are friendly, understanding, and helpful; as friends they are beautiful and intricately woven into my heart and life now.  If you've noticed, I have not raved one bit exclusively about inanimate objects or landscapes... everything I've encouraged here involves friends, family, and even strangers.  Take this into account when thinking of the next thing to do or visit...

Go out and have a wonderful, memorable 2019!



And finally, very briefly about the blog title change... I felt the Edge of Tokyo was more in line with the heart of the subject matter in more ways than one:

- I'm at Zama/Sagamihara, which is just on the edge of the Tokyo/Kanagawa prefectural border
- The experiences I share are not always politically correct, they're a bit on the edge...
- Personally, I've strived to be the best person I can be, and respect/love all creatures of God.  But there is an other half to me that does what I want and doesn't care about perception of me.  I guess that's being "edgy".
- For everyone out there who stumbles upon this part of the internets, I hope it gives them an edge over others in finding fun and interesting things/places/experiences in and around Tokyo!

So there you have it: again, take 2019 to a wonderful, memorable edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment