Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Kimono Rental

Kimonos are one of those very unique things that to many people symbolize Japan, especially those outside of the country.  Honestly, in the past, and perhaps in the present for some, one might be under the perception that all women in Japan wear a kimono every day.


But, for a guy to develop an interest and liking for the kimono... and not just appreciating it on others, but actually wearing it myself, there has to be a story of some kind behind it, right?  It's a relatively short and simple one, which also tells a bit of the background/foundation behind so many of the other things I've been fortunate to experience here in Japan.



My kimono story is actually rooted from baseball, of all things.  Ironically, at that point it had been nearly a decade since I'd stopped seriously following Major League baseball.  So anyway, here's how the story goes:  a friend talks a bit about her liking of Japanese baseball, specifically the Yakult Swallows.  At that point I'd never been to a baseball game in Japan, but had heard about it from fellow Americans who went on MWR/base tours or with experienced friends who went to games at Seibu and Tokyo Dome for Lions and Giants games, respectively.  But the Yakult Swallows seemed like... uncharted territory for Americans.  They played at... Meiji Jingu stadium?  Was it near the shrine in Harajuku?



So, curiosity took over, but the language barrier and uncharted territory made going to a baseball stadium by myself, or with family, very daunting.  So, I ask that friend to bring me to a game.  Cool she says... but I need to pay her a favor in return, which was to accompany her on a kimono outing at Asakusa.

Lovely kimono ladies near the Sumida River


So it actually interested me on its own, the kimono thing.  I was told that there were male versions of it, so I wasn't worried about looking too silly.  As it turned out, the kimono left an impression on me and turned me into a fan for several reasons:

Praying for a nice kimono day?


- There is a definitely a process, a schedule, a recipe in forming the outfit, which is unlike any other fashion outfit (or costume) I'd ever tried.  And it seemed that the one doing the dressing at the rental shop had to be trained in the ways of the kimono.  Even the dressing of one in a kimono was an art form!
- For women, getting their hair styled at the shop seemed almost mandatory.  That told me it was a big deal for them, and I can respect others' passion for the art.
- Wearing the kimono felt like being transported back in time, when perhaps all of Japan were dressed this way in public.
- Walking around in a kimono in the traditional/touristy areas of Asakusa accentuated the time warp feeling.  And, getting to the modern-looking areas (with Tokyo Skytree in the background) did that as well!
- Photography.  That says it all, but I'll add to it: of course photos of people wearing kimono are very nice (even if I'm in it) but for the first time in my life I was having strangers asking to take photos of me.  That tells you how cool it is (not me).
- The moments after getting out of the kimono: think of how nice it is to put on your regular shoes after ice skating for a while.  Transfer that nice feeling to your torso.


I've gone out in kimono, through the rental shops, a few times since that first experience, and I anticipate writing about the shops specifically in the future since each shop and its location have some unique aspects that would be useful for one planning out the ideal outing.


Also in the near future, expect to hear about how my following of the Yakult Swallows is rooted from kimonos!

Photo with my sensei, niece, and cousin, thanks to a friendly photographer!


Recommendations:

- Go with a friend or two, or more!  I can't imagine doing this alone, especially for a first timer.  Someone needs to be willing to take a photo of you when you find the right spot/moment.  And it's just one of those things you'll feel more comfortable/secure with in the company of others.  Also, you'd likely want someone to talk to about the amazing experience who'd been through it as well!

- Reservations in advance are highly recommended.

- If you're going to do this in a tourist area, expect that some tourists will want to take a photo of you.  I know some are good with this and some are not, so think about what your answer will be when asked or when someone looks to take a photo of you.

- Check out the weather before reserving; rainy days might make this awesome experience a lot less awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment