Thursday, November 14, 2019

Darts: Hitting The (Social) Bullseye in Tokyo

Darts aren't something unique to Japan, but in my recent years as a Tokyo area resident, it's found it's way into my social "repertoire", thanks to my friends here.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Y6QbxNt_z5ywylzqdlgHcNS0x7Pfg_Mbhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=15LuOIvWv3exfYx_mGYmMWjAv1s4Qudhd

It actually occurred as more of an afterthought at first, a way to kill about 20 minutes of time before attending a scheduled event.  We walked into an arcade and saw the darts game area and it was suggested to me to play a game or two.  I hadn't actually picked up a dart and threw it towards a board since my high school days; in those times the game was very much analog in nature compared to the digital breed seen everywhere nowadays.  And back then I didn't know how to play or keep score in any of the different types of games (Cricket, Count Up, etc) and now playing with Japanese friends who might be challenged in instructing me on the rules of the game seemed a bit daunting at first...

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1eKiEa9PR9M2QlDXsiKqQabxpvqNXswdO

It was a fun time, as it turned out!  Rules, or scoring, you could pick up as you play for the simpler scored games.  With Cricket, the board would light up for the areas you need to hit, so I didn't require any tutoring from my friends at all!



And, it made for a nice friend photo op.  Or video op, whatever your preference may be.


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zUjn4P1WICLAfw_qsjHcVAf7E05gJTWE


The interesting/useful aspect of darts here in Japan is that it's found at arcade and some bars, much like it is outside of Japan.  Except, there are waaaaay more arcades in Japan than anywhere in the world from what I've seen.  So, you're never too far away from a darts game, should the urge/need arise to play a game or two with friends.



Curious?  Take a shot at darts in Japan!



Cost: 100 yen per game, per player

No comments:

Post a Comment